Sunday, October 14, 2007

Apologies and Elizabeth

Well, it has been a good while since I posted a new...er...post, so I promise I'll update regularly...if anyone reads this that is.

Anywho, I once again apologize to my friends who invited me to see a motion picture and was unable to attend, mainly because I had temporarily misplaced my phone that was on silent.

I went to go see "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" today, and I can say I was rather pleased with the outcome of the film. Rather than cover a broad piece of Elizabeth's reign, the film primarily focuses on one pivotal moment in her reign that also affected the outcome of England, Spain, and the rest of history. Those of you who know your history can probably know what I am talking about. The movie itself is dazzling to behold with some very elaborate and beautiful sets that perfectly capture England in the late sixteenth century. Shekar Kepur's direction very nicely keeps the movie and plot moving forward, though the film tends to bog down at times. This is one of the movie's main faults: the subplots involving Elizabeth, Walter Raleigh, and her maiden assistant Bess feels more like a historical soap opera than a highly moving tale of love. Still, the humanity of the film and its characters never gets too lost, which is important because that is the film's biggest strength. Cate Blanchett once again pulls off an Oscar worthy performance that really reminds everyone of how great of an actress she is. Clive Owen, instead of playing yet another badass with a chip on his shoulder, brings a surprisingly great performance as well with a certain likability to his character that really makes Raleigh a cool personality. One thing to complain though is Geoffrey Rush. No his part wasn't bad. On the contrary, he was one of the best characters, but he was severely underutilized this time around. Why? I don't know, but it was disappointing. Still, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" is a great film that never strays far from being the character driven opus it should be. If you like the first film, like historical films, or just wanna see a smart, mature tale, "Elizabeth" may just be what you're looking for. 8.5/10.

Don' forget...Planet Terror and Transformers both come out (on DVD and HD-DVD, respectively) on Tuesday! I'll see everyone later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What No HALO?